Thursday 13 June 2013

The Office

Apple cinnamon muffin and a cappuccino:
the perfect companions for the morning's work.
Riding the lift today with a cappuccino in one hand and a cinnamon muffin (x3) in the other, I was struck by how much I love my desk job.

When people hear the phrase "desk job", there seems to be an automatic reflex involving gagging and profuse statements that they could never settle into one. I know because I'm one of those people.

As a kid, I used to dream of being a daytime dancer and then, when the sun set, I'd change out of my leotard and become a night time detective. Having a desk job was nowhere on the horizon.

And yet I have to admit that now I love office culture. I love all the trappings that come with it: the coffee, the chats between cubicles, being able to festoon my area with my own brand of decor, the faint resemblance to being in an airport lounge. For me, it evokes the better scenes from "You've Got Mail" or "Julie and Julia". I like being able to churn through tasks accompanied by my morning toast, and just as equally love being able to leave it all behind at the end of the day and still feel satisfied.

Being "all grown up" now, I've become aware of how rare it is to really enjoy what you do and that makes me even more determined to love wherever I am. Maybe one day, I'll start yearning for that dancer/detective career again. But for now, it's enough just to be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment