Monday 28 January 2013

Boy in Wolf's Clothing

My friends gave me an unusual desk calendar for my birthday. Each day presents an incomplete picture and a directive to make it complete. It was perfect for me: a few short minutes each day spent doodling, doing what I really should be doing more of.

On January 27th, I was presented with this:


For some reason, I was stuck. I think it was a simple reason of knowing that the pre-existing lines were going to interfere with my doodle. Maybe it was more complicated than that. I left it for the moment.

Today, I decided to give myself a bit more freedom and scanned it into my computer to be completed digitally. As I was drawing, I was constantly reminded of the teens whose paths I frequently cross. I don't know if it's the area, the culture or simply the age that we're in, but so many of them are hurting. But they don't want you to see it. So they throw you off with (what they think is) witty sarcasm and a don't-care attitude. Of course, we've always had these kinds of kids. But I'm struck by how a "normal" healthy kid is now the minority.

So here is my dangerous wolf dedicated to all those teens I see so often:

27/01/13 copyright Diane Davenport


No comments:

Post a Comment